Wednesday, October 3, 2007

first blog

This is my first blog. Do not have much to say really. Just wanted to join the wonderful world of blogs.
My name is Roxie. I am 55. I am married to a wonderful man. We just returned from our dream vacation/anniversary trip to Hawaii. This trip was to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and to celebrate David's return to health. On August 3 my husband suffered a stroke. Lucky for us it was not a major stroke, but it was enough to get his attention. He had let his health go for far too long and it finally caught up with him. Now he is on some expensive medications, he must give himself shots several times every day, and he MUST visit the doctor a couple of times a month instead of not seeing a doctor for more than 2 years....
I do home day care for a living. I love it very much. I have been in business for almost 20 years. I still enjoy the children very much. It is great too that I get to see and spend quality time with my grandsons every day...
I also have 4 dogs. I love them too. They are my 'children with fur' as my husband calls them.
Well, this is the end of my first blog. Roxie

4 comments:

An Adventurer in the World said...

Hi Roxie!

I had to start a blog, too, to comment on Meredith's space : )

I had a good laugh when I saw you did the same thing!

deb meyers

Susan said...

Well, Roxie, that makes three of us!
I started/ will start a blog now, too, partly because I want to still be able to comment on Meredith's site, and partly because I think the whole blogging thing is neat. But I want to tell you that I have LOVED the comments you have posted on Meredith's site over the past few years. They are always interesting, insightful, and very kind. I would love for you to post more about yourself, and would love to learn a little bit more about your corner of Texas. We went to San Antonio about 2 years ago, and fell in love with all things Texas! Looking forward to more posts from you in the months to come!
Susan

Gena said...

Roxie,

I got your comment on my post. I'm not sure what to tell you. If your friend received a large amount of life insurance, which she must have, maybe one of her ways of dealing with her grief is with "retail therapy" on in her case "vacation therapy". I do understand this. You have no control over your life, you have some money to spend, so you spend it. HOWEVER, it sounds as if her spending has gone too far. Does she have an attorney? A financial advisor? I have both of these. I also have young children at home. I didn't work outside the home, so my insurance proceed and social security have to last the rest of my life. I believe that it probably her case as well. She sounds as if she need some serious conseling. Her adult children are obviously taking advantage of her, but she is allowing it. I also have children in college. They are aware of my financial situation. They know that the money I have has to last forever. If I invest and spend wisely, it will. I hope that you friend will snap out of this or she will have a rude awakening. Someone close to her might also need to have a talk with her grown children and give them a dose of reality. What happens when their mother's money runs out? When she is older and possibly infirm? Who will take care of them then?

I wish I could help you more. I have no education in these matters other than experience. Your friend truly needs to talk to someone outside of her situation and get some help or she could end up with nothing.

Miss G said...

Roxie, thank you so much for your comment! We are getting close to being packed so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the tips! I like the idea of cooking in the tin foil like that. Kelly